A basic red salsa, this recipe calls for both fresh and canned tomatoes. For variety,
add mashed avocado or black-eyed peas. You can also mix equal amounts of
chopped mango (fresh or bottled) and this basic recipe to make a tropical-flavored
sauce you can dip with tortilla chips or use on meat or fish.
- 3 (14.5-oz.) cans tomatoes
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 1 jumbo or 2 small red onions, quartered
- 1 T. chopped garlic
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 c. pickled jalapeño slices, drained
- juice of 1 to 2 limes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic, or to taste
In a food processor, pulse canned and fresh tomatoes until finely chopped (may need to pulse half at a
time). Remove tomatoes and pulse onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeño until finely chopped.
Combine the processed mixtures and remaining ingredients; refrigerate overnight before serving.
Store in sterilized jars in refrigerator (will keep at least 2 weeks).
Yield: About 9 cups.