Texas Caviar; We first printed this recipe in December 1982, and it’s been around longer than
that. Even so, it’s still a favorite for New Year’s Eve parties. You can substitute 5
cups of canned and drained black-eyed peas (buy three 15-oz. cans) for the cooked
peas in this recipe.
- 1 lb. dried black-eyed peas
- 2 c. Italian salad dressing
- 2 c. diced green pepper
- 1-1/2 c. diced onion
- 1 c. finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 c. finely chopped jalapeño
- 1 (3-oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1 T. finely chopped garlic
- salt to taste
- hot pepper sauce to taste
Soak peas in enough water to cover for 6 hours or overnight; drain well. Transfer peas to a saucepan,
add enough water to cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cook until tender,
about 45 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well and place peas in a large bowl. Blend in dressing and
let cool. Add remaining ingredients, mix well, and chill.
Yield: 7-1/2 cups.